"There are definitely no bans today, no strict orders for people to cancel events but people should think and make personal decisions," Siauliai Mayor Arturas Visockas told journalists after a meeting of the local emergency commission.
"We advice people to accept personal responsibility, and if they feel the risk, just do not attend events," he said.
Siauliai is set to host several sports events over the weekend, and also events to mark the 30th anniversary of the Restoration of Independence of Lithuania are scheduled for March 10-11.
The municipal emergency commission gathered soon after the central government recommended that the city and district of Siauliai should cancel mass events to prevent the spread of the virus.
According to the local mayor, public transport and education establishments are being additionally disinfected in the city.
The Siauliai mayor urged people to stay calm, not to panic and follow official information.
Earlier in the day, a female resident of Siauliai was diagnosed as having contracted the virus after the woman returned from Italy earlier this wek.
President Gitanas Nauseda remains the most popular politician in Lithuania as his popularity rating...
Atea, a Norwegian-owned IT company, has won a contract worth 5.05 million euros to install a video...
Massimiliano Fuksas, a world-renowned architect of Lithuanian descent, has had his Lithuanian...