aA
Nemencine, a town in Vilnius District, will be locked down due to the risk of the coronavirus spreading, Lithuanian Prime Minister Saulius Skvernelis said on Wednesday.
One town to be locked down due to threat of coronavirus spread
© DELFI / Andrius Ufartas

Only people who live or work in Nemencine will be allowed to enter the town. Others will have to get a special permit from the National Public Health Center.

No one will be allowed to leave the town except those who work elsewhere and who need to leave because of health reasons.

Car travel within the town remains unrestricted.

According to Prime Minister Saulius Skvernelis, the movement of goods and cargos will not be restricted, but police will be on duty to enforce strict quarantine rules and punish flouters. Moreover, people who must self-isolate will be monitored and controlled.

"I have been assured that Nemencine residents will definitely not lack products as there are plenty of shops and their operation will not be suspended," he posted on Facebook before the Cabinet's meeting.

These measures are being put in place after some 20 coronavirus infections were recorded at the Nemencine-based sewing enterprise Vilnika, and also one case was confirmed at Senevita, a local care home. The latter's representatives said on Wednesday the whole personnel and around 200 people in care, over 350 people in total, will be tested.

A total of 1,091 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Lithuania so far. 29 people have died of the virus and 138 have recovered.

BNS
It is prohibited to copy and republish the text of this publication without a written permission from UAB „BNS“.

MP Gedvilas will seek to become Labour Party’s leader

MP Aidas Gedvilas has decided to take part in the upcoming election of a new leader of the Labour Party.

Lithuania launches probe into pro-Russian Ukrainian blogger's finances

Lithuania's Prosecutor General's Office last week launched an investigation into the assets and...

1 318 new COVID-19 cases, no deaths

Lithuania has recorded 1,318 new coronavirus infections and no deaths from COVID-19 over the past 24...

30 migrants tried to access Lithuania illegally from Belarus

On Thursday, 11 August, Lithuanian border guards stopped 30 illegal migrants at the border as they...

Foreign Affairs Minister welcomes Estonia and Latvia’s decision to quit China’s 16+1 cooperation initiative

More than a year after Lithuania withdrew the 17+1 cooperation framework of Central and Eastern...

Top news

Foreign Affairs Minister welcomes Estonia and Latvia’s decision to quit China’s 16+1 cooperation initiative

More than a year after Lithuania withdrew the 17+1 cooperation framework of Central and Eastern...

Lithuania launches probe into pro-Russian Ukrainian blogger's finances

Lithuania's Prosecutor General's Office last week launched an investigation into the assets and...

30 migrants tried to access Lithuania illegally from Belarus

On Thursday, 11 August, Lithuanian border guards stopped 30 illegal migrants at the border as they...

1 318 new COVID-19 cases, no deaths

Lithuania has recorded 1,318 new coronavirus infections and no deaths from COVID-19 over the past 24...

Lithuania looking for possibilities to give Ukraine additional assistance in weaponry, more training for Ukrainian military

On 11 August, Deputy Minister of National Defence Margiris Abukevičius took part in an international...