aA
Six Lithuanian troops previously served at one of the bases in Iraq that came under attack from Iran, Lithuania's Ministry of National Defense said on Wednesday after updating information on the situation of Lithuanian troops in Iraq.
KAM archyvo nuotraukose – Lietuvos kariai Irake
KAM archyvo nuotraukose – Lietuvos kariai Irake
© KAM

The ministry said the Defense Staff of the Lithuanian Armed Forces had received reports from the troops that they are safe.

Andrius Dilda, PR officer for the Defense Staff, told BNS that six Lithuanian army instructors served at the base in Al Asade that came under fire. They are taking part in the US-led coalition mission Inherent Resolve, training local forces.

"The troops remain in Al Asad as yet," Dilda said.

The ministry said earlier that the Defense Staff had received reports from the troops that they safe.

There were no Lithuanian troops in the other base in Irbil which also came under fire, Dilda said.

Another nine Lithuanian troops served in another NATO-led mission. Three of them have already been moved to Kuwait, and the rest remain in Baghdad.

Over a dozen of ballistic missiles were launched from Iran overnight, targeting the bases in Iraq.

It was the country's first action in retaliation for the US killing of General Qasem Soleimani last week.

BNS
It is prohibited to copy and republish the text of this publication without a written permission from UAB „BNS“.

Heavy snowfall leaves 25,000 households in Lithuania without power

Up to 25,000 households in Lithuania, mostly in its southern part, were without electricity on Tuesday...

Lithuania may face EU sanctions over cap on forest land acquisitions

The European Commission may launch an infringement procedure against Lithuania if the parliament does...

686 new COVID-19 cases

On Monday, 686 new coronavirus cases were recorded in Lithuania. In total, the country has already...

Nausėda calls Russia's crackdown on opposing 'throwback to Stalin's era'

Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda has condemned Russia's "brutal" actions against the opposition...

Government panel proposes extending lockdown until March

The Lithuanian government's commission on extreme situations is suggesting extending the existing...

Top news

Environmentalists file EUR 48 mln lawsuit against Grigeo Klaipeda

Lithuania's Environmental Protection Department has filed a 48 million euro civil lawsuit against...

Heavy snowfall leaves 25,000 households in Lithuania without power

Up to 25,000 households in Lithuania, mostly in its southern part, were without electricity on Tuesday...

Lithuania may face EU sanctions over cap on forest land acquisitions

The European Commission may launch an infringement procedure against Lithuania if the parliament does...

686 new COVID-19 cases

On Monday, 686 new coronavirus cases were recorded in Lithuania. In total, the country has already...

Delfi offers its business customers new digital communication services

Banners, specialized content products, and other traditional methods of advertising on websites have...