aA
The government has asked the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) to give it more time to prepare its position regarding a Saudi national's claim that he was unlawfully held in a secret CIA prison in Lithuania between 2005 and 2006.
Abu Zubaydah, CIA jail in Antaviliai
Abu Zubaydah, CIA jail in Antaviliai
© DELFI montažas

The government has until now categorically denied that the country hosted such a detention facility for terror suspects.

Mustafa al-Hawsawi, 51, is currently being held at the US military detention facility in Guantanamo Bay. The man, whom the US suspect of involvement in the September 11, 2001 terror attacks, was captured in Pakistan in 2003.

The man's defense lawyers say in their petition that he could have been brought to Lithuania in February or October 2005 and taken out of the country in March 2006.

Deputy Justice Minister Irma Gudziunaite confirmed to BNS that the Strasbourg-based court's office had granted Lithuania's request to extend the deadline for filing its position regarding the claim until October 31.

According to information available to BNS, the deadline was earlier set for August.

"The extension of the deadline was requested because this is a complex, large-scale case; the related pre-trial investigation by the Prosecutor General's Office is still ongoing. (The request) was also due to the need to coordinate the position with the relevant state institutions," Gudziunaite told BNS.

This is the second claim brought against Lithuania in the Strasbourg court in relation to allegations that the country hosted a secret CIA prison more than a decade ago.

Last May, the ECHR ruled that the CIA had secretly held Abu Zubaydah, another Saudi terror suspect, in Lithuania.

The court ordered Lithuania to pay Zubaydah 130,000 euros in damages for human rights violations. The government has placed the money into a depository account.

In the first case, Lithuanian government officials told the Strasbourg court that the suspected building in Antaviliai, in the outskirts of Vilnius, had been "an intelligence support center" and that the suspected planes had transported communication equipment rather than people to Lithuania.

A pre-trial investigation into the allegations that Lithuania hosted a secret CIA detention site has been ongoing in the country, but no formal suspicions have been brought yet.

BNS
It is prohibited to copy and republish the text of this publication without a written permission from UAB „BNS“.

Lithuania forms reserve volunteer company within engineer battalion

Lithuania is forming a new reserve engineer company within its Colonel Juozas Vitkus Engineer...

Three monkeypox cases detected are unrelated

The Ministry of Health stated Friday that three monkeypox cases detected in Lithuania are unrelated...

Beijing describes Fireign Minister's comments on Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan as “erroneous”

The Office of the Chargé d'Affaires of the People's Republic of China in Lithuania on Friday...

Prosecutors launch investigation into Paleckis’ organisation

The Prosecutor General’s Office announced on Friday that it has launched a pre-trial investigation...

Health Minister approves procedure for diagnosing and treating gender identity disorder

Lithuanian Health Minister Arunas Dulkys has approved the procedure for diagnosing and treating gender...

Top news

Lithuania forms reserve volunteer company within engineer battalion

Lithuania is forming a new reserve engineer company within its Colonel Juozas Vitkus Engineer...

Seimas committee backs bid to help to Sugihara House

The Lithuanian parliamentary Committee on Foreign Affairs is in favor of helping the foundation of...

KTU graduate: possibility to choose additional competencies shaped my career

When faced with a need to choose a study path, you might feel confused. Having more than one favourite...

SocDem MP proposes regulating housing rent prices

MP Gintautas Paluckas, Chair of the Social Democratic Political Group in the Seimas, has registered...

LTG offers free train travel for all people fleeing Ukraine from war with Russia

As of 1 August, not only citizens of Ukraine will be able to use free train travel on local routes in...